Most people think of Sherando Lake as just a summertime facility, but Sherando Lake offers much more than just a lake to swim in and a beach to play on! Known locally as “The Jewel of the Blue Ridge Mountains,” Sherando Lake has been entertaining families since 1936. This recreation area, part of the George Washington National Forest, provides many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
- Fishing from the bank or boat for various types of trout, bass, bluegill, and catfish.
- Boating on the 25 acre lower lake or the 7 acre upper lake.
- Picnicking in a beautiful mountain setting with more than 70 picnic tables, grills, and even some covered shelters in case of rain.
- Hiking along the lake or on one of the more challenging trails to incredible overlooks, a cascading waterfall, or along a rippling creek.
- Mountain biking on the paved trails, or for the very adventurous (translated somewhat insane) off-road biking on Sherando’s multi-use trails.
- Viewing many different types of wildlife–birds, deer, squirrels, and maybe even a bear.
- Camping in season.
- Attending summer evening programs at Sherando’s outdoor amphitheater.
- And of course, lounging on the sand beach or swimming in the lake.
Located only one mile from Cabin Creekwood, Sherando Lake is practically in our backyard for all of our guests to enjoy!