There are so many great trails to choose from along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, and fall is a great time of year to explore them. Whether you’re looking for just a light stroll along a lake, or something more challenging that will take most of the day, there is a trail here just for you! Here are a few of our favorites to whet your appetite!
- Cliff Trail, Lakeside Trail, and Upper Lake Trail at Sherando Lake—These three short trails are great leg-stretchers with nice views. All can be found in the Sherando Lake Recreation Area, and involve very little incline change, but plenty of great scenery.
- The Blue Loop Trail–Also in the Sherando Lake Recreation Area, the Blue Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile trail which climbs to the top of Torry Ridge and circles Sherando Lake. There is a great vantage point from which to view the lake.
- White Rock Gap Trail–This trail begins at the Sherando Upper Lake, and follows Back Creek to White Rock Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The gentle grades of this trail make it a great one for a family day hike.
- Torry Ridge Trail–This seven-mile trail provides a more challenging hike, but is well worth it for the views. Many places, you’ll feel like you’re completely isolated in a wilderness area, as you look out and see no sign of civilization! The trail begins at Bald Mountain on the Blue Ridge Parkway (milepost 22) and ends just 3 miles from our rental cabins at the Mount Torry Furnace on route 664.
- Humpback Rocks Trail–If you want a strenuous climb with great views, the Humpback Rocks Trail is made for you! Located along the Blue Ridge Parkway near milepost 6, this one-mile trail involves a strenuous 700-foot climb, but the reward is tremendous. Once arriving at the top, you’ll marvel at the incredible views of both the Rockfish Valley to the east, and the Shenandoah Valley to the west.
These are just a sampling of the great hiking trails located close to our Blue Ridge Parkway cabins in Virginia. Just let us know of your interests and abilities, and we’ll help you pick a trail that is perfect for you!